Joint AFSH & AHTF Collaborative Research Grant
The American Hand Therapy Foundation is excited to partner with AFSH for a collaborative research grant. This grant is open to any hand/upper limb surgery or therapy topics submitted by a hand surgeon/hand therapist team and will begin October 1, 2020.
GRANT AMOUNT / DURATION:
One-year $20,000 clinical research grant, following the style of an NIH R21 grant
Applications accepted through April 6, 2020.
Any topic related to hand/upper limb is welcome. Researchers are encouraged to submit a project focusing on these special emphasis areas:
- Identifying high-value care and quality metrics in hand therapy
- Increasing and/or improving the use of patient-reported outcome measures in hand surgery
- Targeted/accelerated rehabilitation protocols (e.g. replantation, nerve transfers)
- Developing opioid-free recovery and rehabilitation in upper extremity surgery
Eligibility & Requirements
- Research team must include at least one ASSH Active Member and one ASHT Active Member.
- Members of the ASSH Research Management Committee, including the Chair and Research Division Director, cannot apply for funding either as a principal investigator, co-investigator or sponsor. Members of the AHTF are prohibited from applying.
- Maximum of one application per principal Investigator
- Awardees are required to submit any resulting manuscripts to The Journal of Hand Surgery (JHS) or The Journal of Hand Therapy (JHT) and to present their work if possible at the ASSH and/or ASHT Annual Meeting. Authors and editors maintain right of refusal if submission is not suitable for JHS/JHT. Any publications should cite research funding with credit to the American Foundation for Surgery of the Hand and American Hand Therapy Foundation.
How to Submit
- Submissions are due by April 6, 2020.
- Create a new ASSH account and/or review your account information to ensure your record is up-to-date. You do not need to be an ASSH member to create an ASSH account. Login now.
- Download the grant application.
- Gather your supporting documents, including:
- Letter of Support: This should come from your Department Chair or Division Head. The purpose of this letter is to verify that the researcher will have time and resources to complete the project in a timely fashion.
- Institutional Review Board (IRB), Independent Ethics Committee (IEC), or Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee (IACUC) documentation, as applicable (include either proof of approval or proof of pending application)
- Submit all materials online: https://assh.wufoo.com/forms/z18m39b51su8oro/
- Applicants will be notified in June along with their grant critiques if their application is under consideration for funding. Applicants may be asked to reply to critiques with a one-page response letter.
- Final funding decisions and notifications to be sent in late August 2020.
- Grants receiving funding are required to submit a progress report by May 31, 2021 and a final report by December 31, 2021.
Supporting novice or experienced researchers who are able to expand the scientific evidence, visibility, and quality of upper extremity and hand rehabilitation.
Support our mission of promoting high impact clinical and fundamental upper extremity research. Your generosity makes a difference! Support your profession through a tax‑deductible gift today.