Funding by the American Hand Therapy fulfills the mission of the AHTF by supporting researchers to expand the scientific evidence for hand therapy, in order to enhance the quality of upper extremity and hand rehabilitation and optimize patient outcomes.
The educational focus is to provide grants to researchers at various points in their careers, to support clinicians in their quest for excellence either clinically, or as researchers, and to support educators to teach hand therapy to under-served practice regions.
The American Hand Therapy Foundation (AHTF) has the following grants/awards available:
- The Burkhalter New Investigator Grant for clinical research in hand and upper limb rehabilitation (funding up to $10,000) for a researcher who lacks research experience and has received minimal to no funding. Application window: January 1 – March 1
- The Judy Bell-Krotoski Grab the Evidence Grant for basic science and studies to grow the evidence-base that supports hand therapy and upper limb rehabilitation (funding up to $10,000). Application window: January 1 – March 1
- The ASHT Founders Award seeks to promote meaningful research in hand therapy through the funding of one or more grants (funding up to $30,000). Application window: January 1 – March 1
- The Evelyn Mackin Traveling Hand Therapist Award is designed to fund a practicing occupational or physical therapist, who is a current member of the American Society of Hand Therapists and a Certified Hand Therapist to travel to an area (US or abroad) that lacks training and access to hand therapy to present on a specific domain of hand therapy (funding up to $5000). Application window: May 1 – June 1
- The Janet Albrecht Memorial Scholarship will be a new addition to the American Hand Therapy Foundation awards in 2019. The award provides funding for professional development to support an Occupational Therapist (OT) or Physical Therapist (PT) interested in pursuing the certification in hand therapy and/or a post-professional advanced degree. (funding up to $1000) Application window: May 1 – June 1
- The Mary Kasch Hand Therapy Certification Scholarship in recognition of Mary C. Kasch, FAOTA, OTR, CHT. This award is to assist a well-deserving occupational therapist or physical therapist to receive a financial scholarship to facilitate in the process of becoming a certified hand therapist (funding up to $1,500). Application window: January 1 – March 1 Please, view https://www.htcc.org/for details and application form.
All AHTF administered grants are contingent upon receipt of qualified applications. Acceptance is through a peer-review process. For grant inquiries, please contact April Cowan, OTR, OTD, CHT at email@example.com.