The Mission of the American Hand Therapy Foundation is to fund research and education to advance hand therapy and the quality of patient care throughout the world.
Our focus is to support novice or experienced researchers who are able to expand the scientific evidence, visibility, and quality of upper extremity and hand rehabilitation. As a goal of the funding process, opportunities are provided for new researchers to complete standard grant application forms, to demonstrate expertise as a principal investigator, to be responsible for handling budgeted funds, and to collect pilot data for larger funding opportunities.
*IMPORTANT NOTE: AHTF is conducting a review of and plans to update the AHTF grants. Therefore, the AHTF Grab the Evidence Grant, the AHTF Burkhalter New Investigator Grant and the AHTF Evelyn Mackin Traveling Hand Therapist Award will NOT be funded during in 2014.
This review DOES NOT affect the ASHT Founders Grant for Research in Hand Therapy, and the Mary Kasch Hand Therapy Certification Scholarship. Applications for those ASHT grants will be accepted until February 28, 2014.
The American Hand Therapy Foundation (AHTF) has the following grants available:
- * The up to $3,000 AHTF Evelyn Mackin Traveling Hand Therapist Award is designed to fund a practicing occupational or physical therapist, who is a current member of the American Society of Hand Therapists or a Certified Hand Therapist, in traveling to various hand therapy facilities, in presenting on a specific domain of hand therapy, and in sharing the "pearls" of hand rehabilitation learned from the experience.
- * The up to $5,000 AHTF Burkhalter New Investigator Grant is for clinical research in hand and upper limb rehabilitation.
- * The up to $9,000 Grab the Evidence Grant For Basic Research Science and Evidenced Based Studies is currently available.
- The up to $1,500 Mary Kasch Scholarship is sponsored by The Tri-Alliance of the American Society of Hand Therapists, the Hand Therapy Certification Commission and the American Hand Therapy Foundation in recognition of Mary C. Kasch, FAOTA, OTR, CHT. This award is to assist well-deserving occupational therapist or physical therapist to receive a finacial scholarship to facilitate in the process of becoming a certified hand therapist.
- The ASHT Founders Grant seeks to promote meaningful research in hand thereapy through the funding of one or more grants awarded annually in the combined maximum amount of $5,000.
All AHTF funded grants are contingent upon receipt of qualified applications. Acceptance is through a blinded peer review process.
The application deadline is February 28th each year, while the Mary Kasch Scholarship deadline is March 1st. (If you missed an earlier deadline, plan now to apply for next year based on this information, and revisit for updated submission requirements before the next Feb. 28th.)
Direct link to grants:
Want to discuss the grant process? Please visit our Grants Public Forum.